Thursday, 29 November 2012

UFS211-ACADEMIC READING&WRITING(TASK 2)


Simple sentence
11   Abu and Ali took the bus.
2   I looked for Abu and Ali at the bus station

 Compound sentence
A compound sentence refers to a sentence made up of two independent clauses (or complete sentences) connected to one another with a coordinating conjunction. Coordinating conjunctions are easy to remember if you think of the words "FAN BOYS":
§            For   ,And, Nor, But, Or,  Yet, So

Examples of compound sentences
=   =   Abu and Ali arrived at the bus station before noon, and they left on the bus before I arrived.
=        =Abu and Ali left on the bus before I arrived, so I did not see them at the bus station.
Complex sentences
A complex sentence is made up of an independent clause and one or more dependent clauses connected to it. A dependent clause is similar to an independent clause, or complete sentence, but it lacks one of the elements that would make it a complete sentence.
Example of complex sentences
1.      while he waited at the train station
2.      after they left on the bus

Compound-complex sentences:
Example compound-complex sentence
1.   Although I like to go camping, I haven't had the time to go lately, and I haven't found anyone to go with.
•   Independent clause: "I haven't had the time to go lately"
•  Dependent clause: "Although I like to go camping... "
2.   We decided that the movie was too violent, but our children, who like to watch scary movies, thought that we were wrong.
•    Independent clause: "(but) our children thought that we were wrong"
•    Dependent clause: who like to watch scary movies

No comments:

Post a Comment